Organizational Behavior Assignment Describing The Contemporary Theoretical Frameworks And Concepts Of Organizational Behavior
Task: How can Organizational Behavior assignment help describe the contemporary theoretical frameworks and concepts of and organizations behavior?
As per research conducted on this Organizational Behavior assignment, Effective communication is the key to strengthen the coordination and connection among the organizational employees. There are several research and journals that have highlighted the importance of strong and effective communication for organizational success. There are benefits like good and fast decision making, faster resolution of organizational issues, better productivity, improved business relationships, decreased employee turnover, continuous workflow and many more (Rajhans, 2012). All such benefits motivate organizations to build strategies and approaches that can build strong communication channels at the workplace. There are various companies that have adopted these tools and strategies and have gained massive success in a short duration (Popa, 2016). In this paper, we will discuss the communication tools and strategies of Google and the way it has helped the company to top the chart. This Organizational Behavior assignment uses real life example and the use of theories, the paper will help you understand how good communication makes a difference in organizational growth and success.
Significant role of effective communication for organizations identified on this Organizational Behavior assignment
Business communication can be understood as the manner in which information is shared among the employees both within as well as outside the organization. To attain organizational goals, effective communication is must as it helps to get the employees aligned with the values of the organization (Husain, 2013). There are numerous benefits of effective communication as discussed by several authors and researchers. According to Deetz's Managerialism theory, the old and fixed notions of organizational communication are changed based upon the changing business environment and dynamic political and social norms (Mumby, 2014). In this Organizational Behavior assignment research it is observed that, when communication is based upon the changing business needs then it results in better coordination among the employees. This theory helps managers in decision making based on criteria’s like better involvement, effective participation, better consent, and sound strategy.
Google is one of the worldwide recognized companies for its strong communication approaches and values. Google excels at internal organizational communication as it has a huge focus on communicating with team members on a daily basis through different communication channels. It has its focus on building the psychological safety of the employees and people analytics. Google has also launched a G teams Program that helps to find out about each and every aspect of the organization and its different departments (Krapivin, 2018). The aim is to develop correlation among team performances by combining organizational cultural practices with technology.
There are organizations where there exist gender discrimination and cultural differences when it comes to communication. It is one of the most common issues that exist in the workplace which is visible in organizational practices, processes, and structures. Women face gender inequalities where they are not involved in decision making and other internal communications. Even if people are from diverse cultural groups and have differences in beliefs and values then they are being left behind in group communication (Lan and Jingxia, 2019). Such kind of cultural doiscroiminationa and gender inequality in organizational communication may lead to a high rate of employee turnover and lower level of employee efficiency. But it is necessary that companies should inculcate practices that can help resolve such issues. For this, there can be learning programs and also other training that can support equality among all through strong communication channels (Choroszewicz and Adams, 2019)
The researchers have also explained the role and importance of active listening in effective communication because it is a key aspect needed for sound organizational communication. Active listening is regarded as the core competency of the employees and the managers as it not only encourages openness but also helps to build a connection among the workers. When any person pays huge attention to the conversation of their colleague, then it helps to show trust and a feeling of belongingness (Weger, Castle Bell, Minei and Robinson, 2014). There are various benefits of active listening as it helps to improve the working environment as well as reduce the chances of miscommunication among them. Also, in any case of organizational conflict, these skills of active listening work well to resolve the issues and create a positive environment at the workplace (Rogers and Farson, 2021).
This Organizational Behavior assignment also observed Several organizations take use of effective communication practices in order to attain better results. Grapevine is one of those communication approaches several companies use as it has several advantages. It is basically an informal communication type in which the route of communication or data sharing is not defined; there is random information sharing among the employees. In the present time, it is the need and demand of all the business organizations for functioning in an improved and efficient manner. This sort of communication is based upon the emotions of the employees and thus it holds a great place in an organization (Banerjee and Singh, 2015). People need to converse informally to share their feelings even at the workplaces. This helps to build a good association among employees and authorities. To strengthen the employee-employer and employee-employer relationships, grapevine communications holds a major role. It results in increased employee efficiency as well as developing a friendly workplace environment that motivates individuals to work hard. There are times when employees need empathetic support from other colleagues and a grapevine communication approach enables such support to the employees. To cool down the stress or the surge of emotions, there must be someone with whom they can communicate informally and grapevine communication helps to develop this culture. Grapevine communication enables information sharing among each other with better support and comfort (Robinson and Thelen, 2018). These communications are necessary for the growth and adequate functioning of the businesses.
There are several communication channels that are used by the organizations to improve association among their employees. For the same purpose, there are two types of communication tools, i.e. video and voice and the next one is written communication. Both of them have their advantages depending upon the usage. The first one is the video and voice that includes phone calls, pre-recorded videos, conference calls, and video chats. The other one is the written communication tools that include text messages, direct emails, instant messaging, and mass emails. But the one most appreciated communication tool is face to face communication which is still the most preferred way of communicating. Face-to-face meetings allow deeper conversations and work as productivity booster tools (Jensen, Moynihan and Salomonsen, 2018). This is the most interactive way of communicating with employees as it helps eliminate the occurrence of miscommunication and the exact meaning is conveyed to the other person. But in the digitalized world and remorse working, the most preferred way of communication is video conferencing as it increases flexibility as well as offers face-to-face interaction too (Nguyen, et al., 2020). Even a massive group can interact together in one call that helps sharing information quickly and combine with all the employees. Also, It enables screen sharing, allows pre scheduling of calls, and decreases travel time. Google has its own communication tool i.e. Google Hangouts that is widely popular across the globe for organizational communication (Mendoza, 2015) .
This Organizational Behavior assignment also identifies that Communication process has two major aspects i.e. encoding and decoding. To influence the effectiveness of the communication tools there are four main factors. The first one is the communication channel proficiency as the receiver and the sender both need to be motivated for good communication. Second, there should be the same code books, which mean that the language, symbols, and other tools should be similar while communicating for better outcome and accurate sharing of meaning. The third aspect is that there must be shared mental models, it signifies that the internal representation should be the same as the words used in the outside world. It helps to easily clarify the meaning to each other. The fourth influence is to experience message encoding, where people need to be proficient while taking use of the code-book symbols for improved communication (Henderson, 2004).
It is noted through this Organizational Behavior assignment research that digital communication is of core importance as people are working remotely. So researchers have highlighted the advantages well as the disadvantages of digital communication tools in various articles. Digital communication tools saves time, efforts and cost of the organizations as it does not require people to collect at one place rather they can connect virtually. Also, a large group of people can communicate together at one place with much better coordination. The biggest advantage is that it is easily implemented as it requires no technical knowledge or expertise to communicate digitally (Veleva and Tsvetanova, 2020). Even the meeting data can be stored for future use which is not possible in physical meetings or communication. There are certain disadvantages also of using digital communication tools such as if there is an unstable internet connection then the digital communication cannot be done. Also, synchronization issues might occur because of remote working. There might take place sampling error, noise issue, and possibility of miscommunication (Zhang and Venkatesh, 2013). But still in the coming future these digital communication tools will be the only way for communicating with each other.
From the overall discussions and analysis, it is concluded that effective communication is highly essential for organizational success. It not only helps to improve the employee engagement but also to reduce the chances of communication silos. When the organizations think of using good communication approaches and practices, employees feel participated and motivated and thus think organizational goals as their personal achievements. It is also concluded that effective communication helps to improve the productivity of the organizational employees. The level of interdepartmental communications is also enhanced with better communication practices followed in the organizations. Also, organizations can use grapevine communication approaches for better outcomes. It is also analyzed and concluded that digital communication improves the level of communication with remote workers and enhances employee advocacy. this Organizational Behavior assignment concludes that effective communication results in reduced employee turnover and improved company culture.
1. Husain, Z., 2013. Effective communication brings successful organizational change. The Business & Management Review, Organizational Behavior assignment , 3(2), p.43.
2. Rajhans, K., 2012. Effective organizational communication: A key to employee motivation and performance. Interscience Management Review, 2(2), pp.81-85.
3. Popa, B.M., 2016. Communicating for success. Journal of Defense Resources Management (JoDRM), 7(2), pp.79-84.
4. Mumby, D.K., 2014. Critical theory and postmodernism. The SAGE handbook of organizational communication: Advances in theory, research, and methods, pp.101-126.
5. Krapivin, P., 2018. How Google’s strategy for happy employees boosts its bottom line. Forbes. Com.
6. Lan, T. and Jingxia, L., 2019. On the gender discrimination in english. Advances in Language and Literary Studies, 10(3), pp.155-159.
7. Choroszewicz, M. and Adams, T.L. eds., 2019. Gender, age and inequality in the professions: Exploring the disordering, disruptive and chaotic properties of communication. Routledge.
8. Rogers, C.R. and Farson, R., 2021. Active listening. Mockingbird Press LLC.
9. Weger Jr, H., Castle Bell, G., Minei, E.M. and Robinson, M.C., 2014. The relative effectiveness of active listening in initial interactions. International Journal of Listening, 28(1), pp.13-31.
10. Robinson, K.L. and Thelen, P.D., 2018. What makes the grapevine so effective? An employee perspective on employee-organization communication and peer-to-peer Communication. Public Relations Journal, Organizational Behavior assignment, 12(2), pp.1-20.
11. Banerjee, P. and Singh, S., 2015. Managers' perspectives on the effects of online grapevine communication: A qualitative inquiry. The Qualitative Report, 20(6), p.765.
12. Nguyen, M.H., Gruber, J., Fuchs, J., Marled, W., Hunsaker, A. and Hargittai, E., 2020. covid19?> Changes in Digital Communication During the COVID-19 Global Pandemic: Implications for Digital Inequality and Future Research. Social Media+ Society, 6(3), p.2056305120948255.
13. Jensen, U.T., Moynihan, D.P. and Salomonsen, H.H., 2018. Communicating the vision: How face?to?face dialogue facilitates transformational leadership. Public Administration Review, 78(3), pp.350-361.
14. Mendoza, S.H., 2015, November. Improving Communication and Building Communities with Google. In Proceedings of the 2015 ACM SIGUCCS Annual Conference (pp. 85-90).
15. Henderson, L.S., 2004. Encoding and decoding communication competencies in project management–an exploratory study. International Journal of Project Management, 22(6), pp.469-476.
16. Veleva, S.S. and Tsvetanova, A.I., 2020, September. Characteristics of the digital marketing advantages and disadvantages. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (Vol. 940, No. 1, p. 012065). IOP Publishing.
17. Zhang, X. and Venkatesh, V., 2013. Explaining employee job performance: The role of online and offline workplace communication networks. Organizational Behavior assignment , Mis Quarterly, pp.695-722.