Human resource assignment focussing on communication marketing of Vaseline
Task: You are required to develop a Human Resource assignment in the form of a business proposal with specific focus on the approach to managing employees that can strengthen the employment relationship
Vaseline is best known for its petroleum jelly, a skin care product that has been around since 1872.Vaseline products include deep-moisturizing lotions, creams, and lip balms, as well as skin-protecting products such as petroleum jelly, body wash, and sun protection. Vaseline products are sold around the world in a variety of sizes and formats.As per the human resource assignment findings, it is a brand that is trusted by many consumers, and it has been used by generations of families. Marketing communications (IMC) is a strategic approach to the planning and execution of the marketing mix, with the aim of creating a unified and consistent message to customers. “It includes all forms of communication such as advertising, public relations, direct mail, sales promotion, digital and web content, and social media”. This human resource assignmentwill analyze the IMC approach taken by Vaseline, a leading FMCG brand in the UK, and assess their current UK Marketing Communications strategies, as well as explore their customer relationship-building strategies and make recommendations for improvement.
2 IMC and the Vaseline Brand analyzed in the human resource assignment
Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC) Integrated marketing communications is a process of strategically managing customer contacts with a brand over time to maximize customer engagement and loyalty (Fill and Turnbull, 2019). It is a holistic approach to communication as per the human resource assignmentthat combines various marketing channels such as advertising, public relations, and digital media to create a unified and consistent message (Fill and Turnbull, 2019). The aim of IMC is to build customer relationships through the delivery of a unified and integrated customer experience.Vaseline is an established FMCG brand that has been in the market for over 150 years and has a wide range of products including creams, lotions, and body washes. It is found in the human resource assignmentthat Vaseline has adopted an IMC approach to promoting its body lotion range. The company has used a range of different marketing channels to reach its target audience. These channels include advertising, public relations, digital media, personal selling, direct marketing, and sales promotion.
The company addressed in the human resource assignmenthas used advertising to promote its body lotion range. It has used television, radio, print, and outdoor advertising to reach its target audience. For example, it has aired television commercials featuring its products and brand message. It has also used print and outdoor advertising to promote its products(Fill & Turnbull, 2019).
2.1.1 Advantages mentioned in the human resource assignment
• Reach a Wider Audience: Advertising is one of the most effective ways to reach a large audience and increase brand awareness (Lou & Yuan, 2019). By advertising with Vaseline, the company as per the human resource assignmentcan reach potential customers in a variety of ways, including television, radio, print, outdoor, and digital.
• Increase Brand Recognition: Advertising can help Vaseline stand out from the competition by creating strong brand recognition. As per the human resource assignment this can help to increase consumer loyalty, as well as create positive associations with the brand.
• Generate Leads: Advertising can be used to generate leads and drive sales. As per the human resource assignment this can be done by targeting specific demographics and interests, as well as by creating tailored messages that are designed to appeal to the target audience.
• Boost Brand Loyalty: Advertising can be used to reinforce existing relationships and to build loyalty with customers. Vaseline can use advertising to remind customers of their products and services, as well as to encourage customers to return to the brand.
• Increase Sales: Advertising can be used to increase sales by targeting potential customers with messages that are tailored to their interests. As per the human resource assignment this can help to drive sales and increase conversions.
• Costly: Advertising can be a costly and time-consuming endeavor, for Vaseline. Advertising requires an investment of both financial and human resources, and it is not guaranteed to be successful(Tien et al 2019).
• Clutter: With so many different companies and products vying for consumer attention, it can be difficult for a single ad to stand out. As per the human resource assignment this clutter can make it difficult for your message to be heard or understood.
• Limited Reach: Advertising is often limited in its reach and effectiveness. For example, radio and television ads can only reach a certain geographic area. Additionally, some people may ignore or avoid ads altogether, reducing their effectiveness.
• Negative Perception: For some consumers, advertisements can be seen as intrusive or annoying. Additionally, some may view advertising as a form of manipulation after reading the human resource assignment, which can lead to distrust of the company and its products.
2.2 Public relations
Vaseline has also used public relations to promote its body lotion range(KEBEDE, 2021). It has held press conferences, interviews, and other events to reach its target audience.
it is found in the human resource assignmentthat in 2018, the company launched a campaign to raise awareness of skin cancer, in partnership with the charity, Melanoma UK. The campaign featured a series of posters and digital content, as well as a series of events and activities.
2.2.1 Advantages mentioned in the human resource assignment
• Enhances Brand Reputation: Public relations is a great way to enhance the reputation of a brand(Gregory, 2020). It allows a company to communicate its message to the public in an effective and consistent manner. As per the human resource assignmentVaseline can use PR to communicate its commitment to providing quality products and services, and to showcase its positive impact on the community and the environment.
• Increased Visibility: PR can help raise the visibility of Vaseline and its products. Through the creation of a strong public image, Vaseline can reach a wider audience and gain more potential customers.
• Improved Relationships: PR can help Vaseline build and maintain relationships with customers, partners, and other stakeholders. It is found in the human resource assignment that through effective PR, Vaseline can foster goodwill and trust with its target audience, as well as strengthen its relationships with them.
• Positive Image: PR is an effective way to create and maintain a positive image of Vaseline. It is found in the human resource assignment through the implementation of effective PR strategies, Vaseline can ensure that its message and values are accurately portrayed to the public.
• Improved Customer Service: Public relations can help improve customer service by allowing Vaseline to respond to customer inquiries and feedback in a timely manner. It is found in the human resource assignment that this can help improve customer satisfaction and loyalty.
• Limited Reach: Public relations campaigns are limited in their reach, as they typically only target a specific audience(Schultz, 2020). As per the human resource assignmentthis means that even if the message is clever, creative and effective, it may not reach a large enough audience to make a significant impact.
• Negative Attention: While negative publicity can be beneficial in some cases, it can also be damaging to a brand’s reputation. If a company’s public relations strategy backfires, it can lead to a public relations disaster.
• Lack of Control: Public relations campaigns are subject to the whims of the media, meaning that a company does not have total control over its message or how it is portrayed.
2.3 Digital media
It is found in thishuman resource assignmentthat the company has also used digital media to reach its target audience.” It has used social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to connect with its customers”. It has also used email marketing and website advertising to reach its target audience.The company also has its own website, which it uses to promote its products and offerings.
• Increased Reach: Digital media has the ability to reach a much larger audience than traditional media, allowing brands to target specific audiences. As per the human resource assignment this allows for greater customer engagement and the ability to reach a wider range of potential customers.
• Cost Efficiency: Digital media is often more cost-effective than traditional media, allowing companies to spend their advertising budget more wisely (Kapoor & Kapoor, 2021).
• Measurable Results: Digital media allows for better tracking of the results of campaigns, allowing companies to track ROI and make data-driven decisions.
• Increased Engagement: Digital media allows for greater customer engagement as users can interact directly with brands through social media, mobile apps, and other digital channels.
• Improved Brand Perception: Digital media can help build a positive brand image as users are exposed to branded content, allowing the company to build trust and loyalty.
2.3.2 Disadvantages mentioned in the human resource assignment
• Technical Issues: Digital media campaigns can be hampered by technical problems such as slow loading times, broken links, or insufficient bandwidth.
• Security Issues: As digital media is often shared through third-party platforms; it can be vulnerable to security issues such as hacking or data breaches.
• Requires Constant Updating: Digital media requires constant updating and monitoring to ensure that it remains relevant and up-to-date (Beddiar et al., 2020).
• Lack of Personalization: Digital media lacks personalization, which makes it difficult for a business to create meaningful relationships with customers.
2.4 Personal selling
The company has also used personal selling to promote its body lotion range. It has employed sales representatives to reach its target audience. It is found in the human resource assignmentthat it has also used direct marketing to reach its target audience. It has sent out direct mail campaigns to its customers to promote its products.The company has a team of sales representatives who visit stores and pharmacies to promote its products and answer any questions customers may have.
• Personal Selling Allows for Direct Interaction: Personal selling provides a direct line of communication between the seller and the customer (Hamdan et al., 2020).As per the human resource assignmentit allows face-to-face contact with customers, which can be used to develop relationships and trust. This helps to build loyalty and increase sales.
• Personal Selling Adds Value: Personal selling allows the seller to focus on the customer’s needs. The seller can provide a personal touch and tailor the sales pitch to the customer's specific needs. As per the human resource assignmentthis can make the customer feel valued and more likely to purchase the product.
• Personal Selling Offers Flexibility: Personal selling allows the seller to be flexible and creative in their approach. They can quickly adjust their pitch to fit the customer's needs and interests, making it easier to close the sale.
• Personal Selling Is Cost Effective: Personal selling is often a cost-effective way to reach customers(Ali, 2021). It requires minimal investment in resources compared to other forms of marketing, such as television or printadvertising. Additionally, personal selling can generate more immediate sales results.
2.4.2 Disadvantages mentioned in the human resource assignment
• High cost: Personal selling can be quite expensive, as it requires hiring and training sales staff, as well as paying for travel expenses and incentives.
• Rejection: Sales staff may face rejection from potential customers, which can be disheartening.
• Low Return on Investment: Personal selling can be a low return on investment. It can take a long time to see results from personal selling efforts.
• Limited Personalization: Personal selling is limited in its ability to personalize messages. It can be difficult to tailor messages to different customer needs(Sharma, Rangarajan &Paesbrugghe, 2020).
2.5 Sales promotion
It is found in the human resource assignment that Vaseline offers a wide range of discounts and deals, including buy-one-get-one-free offers, free samples, and free shipping with a certain purchase amount. Vaseline also runs loyalty programs, such as its Vaseline Rewards, which allow customers to redeem points for free products. In addition, Vaseline partners with influencers, who promote its products on their social media channels, and often offers exclusive deals on these platforms. It is also found in the human resource assignment that Vaseline also runs contests and giveaways, giving away products or experiences to its customers. By engaging in these activities, Vaseline is able to increase its sales and create a loyal customer base.UK Marketing Communications strategies.
• Increased Awareness: Sales promotion is an effective way to raise awareness about a brand or product. As per the human resource assignment using creative and engaging tactics such as contests, sampling and coupons can help to get the word out and create buzz around a brand or product.
• Increased Demand: Sales promotions are designed to spur sales and increase consumer demand. As per the human resource assignment offering discounts or coupons can give customers an incentive to purchase a product they may not have otherwise(Chang & Chu, 2020).
• Increased Profit: While sales promotions often involve discounts or freebies, they can also be a great way to increase profits. By increasing demand and driving sales, companies can make up for any discounts or freebies they may be offering.
• Improved Brand Loyalty: Offering discounts or freebies can help to create loyalty among customers. It is found in the human resource assignment that customers appreciate being rewarded for their loyalty and are more likely to continue to purchase from a brand they feel appreciated(Kim, Steinhoff &Palmatier, 2021).
• Customer Expectations: Once customers become accustomed to discounts and promotions, they may expect them on a regular basis. As per the human resource assignment this can lead to a decrease in sales when there is no promotional activity.
• Short-term Focus: Sales promotions can lead to short-term, unsustainable gains in sales. This can lead to a reliance on promotions in order to generate sales, rather than focusing on building long-term customer loyalty and brand equity.
2.6 Analysis of UK Marketing Communications Strategies in the human resource assignment
Vaseline’s Cocoa Butter line of products is marketed through a combination of traditional and digital marketing communications strategies (Rwehumbiza&Marinov, 2021).
Traditional marketing strategies: Traditional marketing strategies as per the human resource assignmentinclude television and radio advertisements, print advertising, point-of-sale displays, and direct mail(Kalmegh, 2018) Traditional Marketing Communications Vaseline’s traditional marketing communications for its Cocoa Butter line of products are designed to reach a wide audience. Television and radio commercials are used to reach a broad audience, while print advertising and point-of-sale displays are used to target specific audiences. Direct mail is also used to target potential customers(Bala& Verma, 2018).
Digital Marketing Communications: Vaseline’s digital marketing communications for its Cocoa Butter line of products are designed to reach a wide audience through various digital channels. It is analyzed in thehuman resource assignmentthat content marketing is used to create engaging content that encourages customers to purchase products. Social media is used to increase brand awareness and engage with customers.
Vaseline’s marketing communications strategies for its Cocoa Butter line of products have been effective in reaching a wide audience. It is found in the human resource assignment that traditional marketing strategies have enabled the brand to reach a broad audience, whereas strategies of digital marketing help Vaseline brand to get more new targeted customers (Fill &Turnbull, 2019). The use of search engine marketing and display advertising as per the human resource assignmenthas increased visibility and generated leads, while content marketing and social media have increased brand awareness and engagement. Overall, Vaseline’s marketing communications strategies for its Cocoa Butter line of products have been effective in reaching a wide audience and generating leads.
3 Customer relationships discussed in the human resource assignment
3.1 Aaker's Brand Equity Model
Aaker’s Brand Equity Model (1996) is a model used to measure the strength of a brand. “It is based on the idea that a brand should be seen as a ‘portfolio’ of assets and liabilities linked to a brand’s name and symbol, which add to or subtract from the value provided by a product or service to a firm and/or to its customers. According to Aaker (1996), brand equity is built on five dimensions: brand awareness, brand loyalty, perceived quality, brand associations, and other proprietary brand assets”. These dimensions mentioned in the human resource assignment are further divided into sub-dimensions, which capture the various ways in which a brand can create value.
3.1.1 Brand Awareness
Vaseline’s IMC activities have been successful in increasing brand awareness of its Intensive Therapy Lotion product(As, 2020). “The brand has used traditional media such as TV, radio, print and outdoor advertising to reach a wide audience. It is found in the human resource assignment that it has also employed digital media such as social media, sponsored content and influencer marketing to reach younger audiences”. Vaseline has also used experiential marketing tactics such as pop-up shops and product sampling to engage with consumers in a more direct and personal way.
3.1.2 Brand Loyalty
Vaseline has also used IMC activities to build brand loyalty. It is found in the human resource assignment that the brand has employed celebrity endorsements to increase brand visibility and to create an emotional connection with its target audience. It has also used loyalty schemes and discounts to reward existing customers and encourage them to return.
3.1.3 Perceived Quality
Vaseline has used IMC activities to promote the quality of its Intensive Therapy Lotion product. The brand has used traditional media such as TV, radio, print, and outdoor advertising to communicate the product’s benefits, such as its hydrating and nourishing properties. It has also employed digital media such as social media and influencer marketing to reach younger audiences and has used product sampling to allow consumers to experience the product directly (Mustaphi, 2020).
3.1.4 Brand Associations
Vaseline has used IMC activities to create positive associations with its Intensive Therapy Lotion product(Alam, 2022).As per the human resource assignment the brand has created a strong brand identity by using a consistent aesthetic across all its communications and has employed celebrity endorsements to associate the product with aspirational lifestyles. It has also used experiential marketing tactics such as pop-up shops and product sampling to allow consumers to interact with the brand in a more intimate setting.
3.1.5 Other Proprietary Brand Assets
Vaseline has also used IMC activities to promote its other proprietary brand assets. “The brand has used traditional media such as TV, radio, print and outdoor advertising to communicate the product’s unique features, such as its non-greasy formula and its long-lasting hydration”. It is found in the human resource assignment that it has also employed digital media such as social media and influencer marketing to reach younger audiences, and has used product sampling to allow consumers to experience the product directly.
There are several ways that Vaseline can improve their brand equity using Aaker’s Model.
• Focus on increasing brand awareness: Vaseline can focus on increasing brand awareness. As per the human resource assignment this can be done through targeted advertising campaigns and collaborations with influencers.
• Focus on increasing brand loyalty: Vaseline can also focus on increasing brand loyalty by offering rewards and loyalty programs. These can be in the form of discounts, special offers, and exclusive access to products and services.
• Focus on strengthening brand associations: Vaseline can also focus on strengthening brand associations by creating content that resonates with customers. For example, Vaseline can create content that celebrates the diversity and beauty of all skin types. As per the human resource assignment this can help to create a positive brand image that customers will associate with the Vaseline brand.
• Focus on increasing perceived quality: Vaseline can focus on increasing perceived quality by focusing on product quality. As per the human resource assignment this can include using high-quality ingredients, providing detailed product information, and conducting customer surveys to get feedback on their products.
This human resource assignmenthas analyzed the Integrated Marketing Communications of Vaseline Intensive Care in the UK. It has introduced the concept of Integrated Marketing Communications and assessed the current UK Marketing Communications strategies of the brand. It has also assessed the current ways in which the brand builds and maintains customer relationships. The findings of this human resource assignmentsuggest that the brand has effectively adopted an IMC approach, utilizing a range of marketing strategies to reach its target market. The brand has also implemented a range of customer-centric strategies to build and maintain customer relationships. It is clear in this human resource assignmentthat Vaseline has adopted an IMC approach in order to reach its customers and promote its products. The company has used a combination of traditional and digital marketing channels to effectively communicate its messages. The company’s IMC strategy has been successful in reaching its customers and promoting its products, and there is potential for further improvement.
Alam, Q. (2022). ADVERTISING BEAUTY IN BEAUTIFICATION PRODUCTS: EVIDENCES FROM ‘FAIRNESS CREAMS’.http://220.127.116.11/handle/52243/2639
Ali, B. J. (2021). Assessing (The impact) of advertisement on customer decision making: Evidence from an educational institution. Ali, BJ (2021). Assessing (The impact) of advertisement on customer decision making: Evidence from an educational institution. Afak for Science Journal, 6(01), 267-280.https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3764088
As, A. J. (2020). An Organization Study Report Of Hindustan Unilever Ltd.http://18.104.22.168:8080/jspui/bitstream/123456789/5824/3/MR1795%20-%20Ashik%20Jain%20A%20S%20%281CR19MBA10%29.pdf
Bala, M., & Verma, D. (2018). A critical review of digital marketing. M. Bala, D. Verma (2018). A Critical Review of Digital Marketing. International Journal of Management, IT & Engineering, 8(10), 321-339.https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3545505
Beddiar, D. R., Nini, B., Sabokrou, M., & Hadid, A. (2020). Vision-based human activity recognition: a survey. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 79(41), 30509-30555. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11042-020-09004-3
Chang, C. T., & Chu, X. Y. M. (2020). The give and take of cause-related marketing: purchasing cause-related products licenses consumer indulgence. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 48(2), 203-221.https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11747-019-00675-5
Fill, C., & Turnbull, S. (2019). Marketing communications: touchpoints, sharing and disruption. Pearson UK.https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=6oyfDwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT26&dq=Fill,+C.+and+Turnbull,+S.,+(2019).+Marketing+communications:+touchpoints,+sharing+and+disruption:+Pearson+UK.+Harlow+(Chapter+1,2,7,8,9,11)&ots=O7MQYWkJRR&sig=nb1Vwuuoxnh780CLpe2vPWFJoVQ
Gregory, A. (2020). Planning and managing public relations campaigns: A strategic approach. Kogan Page Publishers.https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=uwULEAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR1&dq=Public+relations+is+a+great+way+to+enhance+the +reputation+of+a+brand&ots=JVf9_hMlfF&sig=i5vTMh2eoWcrtLNiBsd_1-lU5r0
Hamdan, Y., Ratnasari, A., Sofyan, A., &Yuniati, Y. (2020, March). Personal Selling Skill in Building Interaction with Consumers. In 2nd Social and Humaniora Research Symposium (SoRes 2019) (pp. 262-266). Atlantis Press. https://www.atlantis-press.com/proceedings/sores-19/125935360
Kalmegh, G. S. Digital Marketing Vs. Traditional Marketing-A Comparative View.https://www.ijres.org/papers/Volume-10/Issue-5/Ser-2/H10053538.pdf
Kapoor, R., & Kapoor, K. (2021). The transition from traditional to digital marketing: a study of the evolution of e-marketing in the Indian hotel industry. Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 13(2), 199-213.https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/WHATT-10-2020-0124/full/html KEBEDE, Y. (2021). THE LEVEL OF LEAD, CADMIUM AND CHROMIUM IN THE COMMERCIAL COSMETIC PRODUCTS (VASELINE, LIPSTICK AND LOTION) PRODUCED IN ETHIOPIA (Doctoral dissertation).https://etd.dbu.edu.et/handle/123456789/537
Kim, J. J., Steinhoff, L., &Palmatier, R. W. (2021). An emerging theory of loyalty program dynamics. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 49(1), 71-95.https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11747-020-00719-1
Lou, C., & Yuan, S. (2019). Influencer marketing: how message value and credibility affect consumer trust of branded content on social media. Journal of Interactive Advertising, 19(1), 58-73.https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15252019.2018.1533501
Mustaphi, B. M. (2020). Marketing Communications Strategy through Social Media. Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing, 16(12), 555-564.http://www.davidpublisher.com/Public/uploads/Contribute/60b878ca08e1e.pdf
Rwehumbiza, D. A., &Marinov, M. A. (2021). Firm Business Models, Internationalisation, and Marketing: The Role of Context. In Business Models and Firm Internationalisation (pp. 152-171). Routledge.https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.4324/9781003204268-9/firm-business-models-internationalisation-marketing-role-context-deusdedit-rwehumbiza-marin-marinov
Schultz, D. E. (2020). From Advertising to Integrated Marketing Communications. In A Reader in Marketing Communications (pp. 10-40). Routledge. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.4324/9781003060420-2/advertising-integrated-marketing-communications-schultz Sharma, A., Rangarajan, D., &Paesbrugghe, B. (2020). Increasing resilience by creating an adaptive salesforce. Industrial Marketing Management, 88, 238-246.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0019850120303989
Tien, N. H., Anh, D. B. H., &Thuc, T. D. (2019). Global supply chain and logistics management. Dehli: Academic Publications.http://www.publishbookonline.com/download/10/1-1-17-419.pdf